Coal, PRB, Powder River Basin
|About the PRB Coal Users' Group|
The PRB Coal Users’ Group, a nonprofit organization that was formed in 2000 to promote the safe, efficient, and economic use of Powder River Basin coal by generating companies that currently use, or are considering the use of, PRB coals.
To help meet this objective, the board of directors has elected to address key issues and to exchange experiences—especially in the area of safety. Over the past 18 years they have hosted an annual meeting co-located with the ELECTRIC POWER Conference and Exhibition where candid discussion is encouraged.
The Users’ Group also develops a series of recommended best practices to encourage maximum safety when utilizing this valuable low-sulfur fuel. Members are provided with a list of power plants consuming sub bituminous coal, annual consumption statistics, conference papers from past meetings, an industry on-line discussion forum, and other services. Suppliers to the industry are encouraged to support the group through corporate membership options and receive recognition on the website, in print, and during the annual meeting.
• To promote the safe, efficient, and economic use of Powder River Basin coals by generating companies that currently use, or are considering the use of, PRB coals.
• To encourage the safe, economical use of PRB coals by those who elect to utilize the resource (not to lobby for increased usage).
• To develop and maintain a database of PRB coal users.
• To work with other interested industry groups and associations.
• To evaluate and define best practices in cooperation with other industry groups.
• Membership of the Users Group comprises individuals from users of PRB coals as well as prospective consumers (generating companies or industrial energy consumers). Associate members from companies supplying coal, equipment or services are also invited to participate.
• Membership is open to individuals for $100 per year. This membership fee is deducted from the registration fee for those attending the annual meeting.
• The Annual PRB Coals Users’ Group Meeting will be presented in conjunction with the ELECTRIC POWER Conference and Exhibition each year in the April/May time frame. PRB Coal Users’ Group delegates will be granted cross privileges to the ELECTRIC POWER Conference and free access to the ELECTRIC POWER Exhibition.